Thursday, April 19, 2007

YIPPIKAYFUCKINGYEY!!

OH YEAH,BABY!! I FINALLY NAILED THE GMAT!!

It feels so incredibly good, and the smile on my face when the score popped up today got to be the biggest one seen at Pearsons Shanghai! :D

Now, the reason for this unusual happyness over a quite normal GMAT-score is the fact that I've taken it before. And did insaaaanely bad. I'm not giving the score away here, but it was way below my expectations. What's even worse is that I studied for it more or less 4 weeks, and did worse than before I started reading for it! How's that for motivation?!

Anyway, in mid-January, when I figured out that I want to study in the US next year, I said to myself that no matter what happends, I'm gonna apply to Emerson, and it's gonna be a good application! It was this sort of "Britney-Spears-you-can-do-everything-if-you-set-your-mind-to-it" kind of thing, but it nevertheless was a promise I made to myself. Getting that first GMAT-score pissed me of big-time, and really demotivated me for some time.

But I stuck to my plan, since I knew that I could do better!! I booked a new GMAT-date, and started studying again! And what happends?? Well, I saw no progress....at all! I bought GMAT-tests from websites, took them, and did just as bad. Everytime. Even yesterday, and this very morning before my 2nd GMAT-test,I did just as bad!

"So how on earth did you, Jørgen Nøvik, manage to get a good score then?", you might ask. Well, here's what I did. And listen good, cause this might be the solution to get a good GMAT-score when you're unprepared (or just doesn't get it):


I took the metro downtown to the testcenter, sat down at Coffee Bean for a yacky iced coffee, and said:

"Man, if you fuck up ones more you're screwed. You'll never gonna get in with two below-50%-scores, hey, you're not even gonna be reviewed. Have you really spent this much money and time and traveled to another city for a language test, just to be screwed by the GMAT?? Are you really not better than the average person taking this test??"


I didn't answer myself on that question, but rather picked up my bag, turned on my mp3-player on top volume. And which song? That's right, MY WAY, with Frankie-boy! I stepped into that GMAT-office and said

"Hey you GMAT-test-girl!! Yea, that's right, I was here a month ago and did like shit, but guess what! This time is the last time you'll see my sexy ass walking out that little door of yours, cause with the score I'll get today you will never see me needing to take the GMAT again!!"


Okay, I didn't actually say that, but I had it in my mind! And I went in, started taking the test and thought "geez, this is not going better than last time at all!". I did lots of uncertain guesses, I thought, and was nearly giving up. So when I was finished and my puls was getting higher, I nearly flipped out by the score! It was actually 100 points better!! Most people say that taking the test a 2nd time without studing a shitload is a waste of time, but HAH! Prooved you wrong!!

For those who are unfamiliar with the GMAT, I can say that it is a test where you score between 0 and 800. Those scoring 800 are like...1 out of 200 000 or something. Getting above 700 is about 2-3% of the test-takers, I guess. I'm not applying to Harvard, so I'm not one of those who yearn for scores above 700. Average is about 530, or something, so me now getting 100 points better might say more about my first score than my last :) Anyway, I'm now amongst the top 24%, which is in good range of what Emerson requires! =)

So, now I have the joy of writing 20 pages for the thesis before Sunday afternoon at 6 pm! THAT will be another challenge, but a lot easier to take on now as the GMAT-burden is of my shoulders:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grattiiiisss!!!!! :D